Charles was worried. His employer had recently announced plans to downsize the company and cut the workforce in half, so he was afraid of being laid off. He sent off dozens of resumes hoping to get an interview at another company. One day he got a call from the human resources department of a large corporation. They were looking for someone with his skillset to start as soon as possible. Charles was on cloud nine! They were offering him a higher salary and excellent benefits such as healthcare and dental. He didn’t hesitate to sign the new contract and hand in his notice!
Check out the video below for more ways to use this expression.
On Cloud Nine? Like, floating in the sky? Well, this phrase just means that you’re delighted or extremely happy.
But how can we use it in a sentence? Let’s see:
- Anna and Daniel are expecting their first child. They’re both on cloud nine!
- You won €20,000 at the races? You must be on cloud nine!
- Oh, young love! Helen has a new boyfriend, and she’s totally lovestruck! She’s on cloud nine!
So, there we are: on cloud nine. Have you ever been on cloud nine? Let us know by leaving us a comment. We look forward to hearing from you.
Do you feel confident using this expression? Answer the questions below and try to include today’s idiom in your response.
- When was the last time you felt really happy about something? Why were you so delighted?
- Have you ever won a contest or competition? How did you feel when you won?
- Did any of your friends tell you recently that they were really delighted about something? What made them feel so happy?
- Have you ever received a gift that you were really excited about? What was it?
- Did your favorite sports team win a game or a match recently? How did that make you feel?