Have you ever felt bored on the first date? Perhaps the atmosphere wasn’t great, or you didn’t really connect with your dinner partner. It’s difficult to stay interested in the conversation if your date insists on talking too much about a subject that you couldn’t care less about, like birdwatching or knitting!
Dara’s latest video shows you how to use this common idiom. Check it out and then write your own example below.
I couldn’t care less. So you mean, it’s impossible for me to care less?
That’s right! If I say, “I couldn’t care less,” I mean, “I don’t care at all” or “I’m completely indifferent about something.”
Let’s look at a few example sentences:
- A: I think your hair looks stupid!
- B: I couldn’t care less what you think, Paul. It’s my hair, and I’m not trying to impress idiots like you!
- The World Cup Final is on a big screen in the city center tonight! Honestly, I couldn’t care less about football, but it should be a great atmosphere. Let’s go!
- A: Ugh! You know that meal contains about 1500 calories, is full of fat, and has practically no nutrients, right?
- B: I couldn’t care less! It’s delicious!
So, there we are. Is there anything you couldn’t care less about? Let us know in the comments section below.
We’d love to hear your own examples of how to use this expression. Here are some prompts to get you started.
- What subjects did you have to learn in school that you didn’t feel passionate about?
- Does your partner enjoy speaking about some things that just don’t interest you? If so, what?
- What issues do your boss or coworkers talk about that make you want to zone out?
- What makes you want to turn the television channel?
- Do your friends ever ask you out to events that aren’t your cup of tea (aren’t your favorite things to do)? What do you usually say to these requests?