Several of my friends work in the technology industry. When they get together, they talk about cutting-edge innovations like AI, robotics, or cloud computing. I’m also interested in science and technology and I’m always excited about buying the latest gear and gadgets. But I find the conversation difficult to follow when they start talking about the more technical aspects of the subject. It’s all Greek to me! Are you into technology?
Check out Dara’s latest video below for more on this great idiom!
If you’re an English speaker, and you see Greek writing, you have no idea what it means!
For this reason, when somebody says, “It’s all Greek to me!” they mean, “I don’t understand it at all!” or “I will never be able to understand this!”
Let’s see how we can use this phrase in context:
- You want help with your algebra homework? Oh, don’t ask me! It’s all Greek to me!
- I need help filling in my tax report! I don’t understand the forms. It’s all Greek to me!
- Help your grandfather send an email, will you? You know computers are all Greek to him.
So, there we are: all Greek to me! Does your language have a similar phrase? Let us know in the comments section below.
Now it’s time to try out what you’ve learned using the prompts below.
- When was a time you were confused by something you read, such as an article in a science magazine? Describe how you felt.
- How do you feel when you look at mathematical problems? What about computer code?
- Do you find it easy to deal with financial matters such as tax returns or investments?
If you liked this video, please give Free Spirit English a like and subscribe on Youtube so you can get updated when we post a new episode!
Leave a Reply